For this reason, the Tenerife Island Council wants to help you enjoy your time out under the stars while you take care of yourself, your companions, and the environment.
Types of camping allowed on the island
In Tenerife there are four different types of camping in the open air:
- Campsite with or without tents.
- Campsite with a motorhome or other type of mobile home.
- Camping on long-distance hikes, both on public and private land.
- Camping on private land for more than one night.
Below are some tips on how to enjoy camping in areas of the island designated for this purpose.
However, if what you want is to camp out while hiking or on private land while exploring Tenerife, we recommend that you check the specific conditions applicable to this activity.
Three steps to staying at campsites
- Consult the list of available campsites on our virtual map.
- Check the conditions for staying and booking a pitch in the campsites.
- Apply for your authorisation in good time on the Tenerife Island Council’s reservations page.
Respect the environment
- Enjoy the local plant and animal life without disturbing it. Be curious but from a safe and respectful distance.
- Follow the rules and instructions on the signs to avoid disturbance to people and animals.
- Keep the environment clean and leave no litter behind. Rubbish and cigarette butts must be disposed of in the designated containers.
- Travel in small groups to keep noise pollution and the impact on the environment to a minimum.
- Use the water in the toilets and taps responsibly. Water is a scarce and precious commodity on our island.
Leave no trace
- Load up your backpack with the three essential attributes of the sustainable tourist and help us to protect the natural jewels of Tenerife:
- Awareness: you are in an exceptional protected environment, think about the consequences of your actions before you act.
- Commitment: the well-being and conservation of the surrounding fauna and flora, and of all other visitors, also depend on you.
- Collaboration: share your experience so that other travellers can follow in your footsteps and learn from your experience.
Rules for camping in Tenerife
When you apply for an authorisation to camp on the island, the permit issued entails the acceptance and fulfilment of the following obligations:
- You may camp in the requested area from sunrise on the first day indicated on the permit until 7:00 pm on the last day.
- You may only light a fire for cooking food and, in summer, only until 8:00 pm.
- You may use gas cylinders of up to 3 kg, placing them on a flat surface free of vegetation and nearby objects.
- If you need to use a cylinder of between 3 and 13 kg maximum, you must do so in those recreational areas that have a specially designated and signposted place for this purpose.
- Remember that the use of portable barbecues or similar is not permitted.
- Use the existing facilities and equipment responsibly.
- Avoid any action that may damage or destroy these facilities.
- Remember that the children’s play areas are for children only.
- Avoid pouring substances, waste or detergents into the drains of the water points.
Vehicles and other means of transport
- Always park your vehicle in the designated parking area.
- Where parking is only possible on the access track, ensure that your vehicle does not block traffic or the entrance to any other track.
- Remember that horses, motor vehicles or bicycles are not allowed inside the camping area, nor is it permitted to spend the night in the parking area.
- Keep your pets on a leash and under control at all times.
Cleanliness and pollution
- Always dispose of rubbish bags, securely tied, in the bins.
- Never throw cigarette butts, rubbish or liquids of any kind on the ground.
- Remember that the use of generators, music equipment, loudspeakers or any other sound amplifiers is not permitted.
Do you need urgent help?
Contact the emergency services.